Diet and exercise are the obvious paths to a trimmer figure, but have you ever wondered which foods in particular are good for slimming your waistline? It’s important to incorporate a variety of healthy foods into your diet if you want to lose weight, but with this list you can be sure that a good number of those foods are especially good at keeping extra pounds away from your belly and hips. Check out this guide to which foods are the best for your waistline.
At breakfast, avoid filling up on carb-heavy meals like pancakes or a bagel. However, don’t skimp on this meal either since eating a hearty breakfast can help you avoid unnecessary snacking during the day. Here are some waistline-trimming breakfast foods:
- Eggs: Eggs are packed with protein, which helps curb hunger throughout the day. One study found that a daily two-egg breakfast helped people shrink their waistlines by 34 percent and eat fewer calories during the day. As an added bonus, they’re also full of choline, which boosts brain health and reduces inflammation.
- Skim milk: Don’t fall for tempting products like vanilla soy-milk. You actually get better nutrition from skim milk, which has tons of bone-strengthening calcium without any fat or sugar.
When midday hunger strikes, reach for healthy, waist-slimming snacks like these:
- Raspberries: This fruit is an excellent source of soluble fiber, which helps you feel full faster while also reducing bad cholesterol. They are also high in antioxidants. Buy the frozen variety when they are out of season to save money.
- Dried apricots: These tasty treats are healthier than some other dried fruits (some of which are actually deep-fried). Most dried apricots have only 150 calories and less than a gram of fat per serving. They’re also packed with vitamin A.
When it’s time to eat lunch, a few simple additions to a healthy meal can increase your chances at slimming down:
- Peppers: Throw some peppers in a salad to heat things up. The capsaicin in hot chili peppers helps you burn more calories and boost your metabolism.
- Parsley: In addition to fighting bad breath, putting parsley in your meal can add flavor. It’s also a natural diuretic that helps you lose water weight.
- Beans: A taco or salad with beans is great for slimming down. Red, black or white beans have no fat, lots of protein and few calories. They also have lots of nutrients, including folate and zinc.
Think dinner can’t be filling when you’re sticking to healthy foods? Think again. Here are some of the best dinner options for trimming inches from your waist:
- Quinoa: This is a great substitute for pasta or rice. It’s high in fiber and an excellent source of protein, so it’s actually a better source of nutrition than those grains while also being better for your waistline.
- Extra-lean ground sirloin: With just 240 calories and 10 grams of fat per serving, you can have a healthy, filling meal with extra-lean ground sirloin without doing damage to your health or your waistline. Lean ground turkey is another option, but with sirloin you also get the added iron.
- Asparagus: A great complement to many dinner dishes, asparagus has significant amounts of vitamin C and folate. Plus, it’s lower in sugar compared to some other sides, like beets. They also don’t have the carbs of potatoes.
It’s easy to focus on foods and forget about what drinks we’re putting in our bodies. In no secret that soda is a surefire way to pack on unnecessary pounds. However, there are certain drinks that can help you achieve your goal of getting a smaller waistline. Just remember to keep drinking plenty of water as well.
- Green tea: Get a caffeine boost from green tea and you could lose a few pounds and even a couple centimeters off your waist. This tea can help boost your metabolism and is also rich in healthy flavonoids which can help lower your risk for certain diseases. Be sure to choose brewed tea – bottled and sweetened versions won’t help you slim down.
- Cinnamon: It’s not a drink, but it’s an excellent alternative to sugar if you want to sweeten your coffee. This spice can amp up your metabolism to burn fat faster. It’s also a powerful antioxidant.
Additional Tips for Success
In addition to eating healthy foods, there are a few more things you can do that will have a direct impact on your waistline, including:
- Walk more: Get a pedometer and make it a point to take more steps than you usually do each day. Just going for a walk each day can have a huge impact on your waistline in particular. One study found that people who walked for an hour a day 6 days a week lost 10-20 percent of their belly fat.
- Do intense cardio: Instead of running at a moderate pace for an hour, do 30 minutes of intense cardio. This can have a bigger impact on your waistline since it keeps your body burning calories long after your workout ends.
- Get enough sleep: Studies show that people who get enough sleep (7 to 8 hours a night) are more likely to lose weight.
There are tons of healthy food options out there, but the ones here will have some of the biggest impact on your waistline. If you’re looking to lose weight, consult your doctor or a nutritionist for more information about how you can start a healthy diet and exercise routine.
(Also read: Best Foods To Help You Lose Weight.)