Want to shed a few pounds? Many people hoping to lose weight mostly concern themselves with calorie intake. While that’s an important part of healthy eating, you can boost your results by also choosing the best foods for weight loss. Here’s a guide to the best foods for losing weight.
- Apples: Antioxidants in apples are helpful for preventing metabolic syndrome, a condition which causes excess belly fat. More importantly, however, they’re a healthy, low-calorie snack that can help you feel full. For example, people who ate an apple before eating a pasta dish consumed fewer calories than those who had a different snack before their meal.
- Goji berries: If you’re looking for another healthy way to curb cravings, try goji berries. They contain 18 amino acids and a surprising amount of protein. Plus, they only contain 35 calories per tablespoon.
- Blueberries: Another weight-trimming berry is the blueberry. They have the highest antioxidant level among commonly consumed fruit while also containing over 3.5 grams of fiber per cup.
- Avocados: Avocados are the perfect place to get the healthy fat your diet requires. They contain monounsaturated fats that are good for your heart. You’ll be surprised at how little it takes to satisfy your hunger. Use avocados to make healthy dips and toppings.
- Kale: This leafy green should be on the top of your grocery list if you hope to lose weight. One cup of raw chopped kale contains plenty of fiber, iron and calcium, but only 34 calories.
- Chili peppers: If you can handle the spice, add chili peppers to your meals. They boost your metabolism, helping you to burn excess calories faster. They’re actually so hot that they create what’s called a thermogenic effect, causing your body to continue burning calories for 20 minutes after you eat the chiles.
- Oats: Get your grains the healthy way by adding minimally processed oats to your diet. Steel-cut and rolled oats include a whopping 5 grams of fiber per serving, so they’re a healthy way to feel full. Consider substituting oats for breadcrumbs in other recipes, like meatloaf or meatballs.
- Buckwheat pasta: If you’re craving the comfort of a pasta dish, use buckwheat pasta for a healthy twist on a classic. It’s high in fiber and contains protein, which means you’re less likely to overeat calorie-wise.
- Quinoa: This trendy whole grain is packed with protein that helps you feel full without eating lots of calories. It also has plenty of fiber to help you feel healthy. Certain pasta or rice dishes are just as tasty when using quinoa as a substitute.
- Steak: Diet trends often shy away from beef, but in moderation it can be a great weight loss food. Local organic steak is the best option since it’s healthier for your body and for the environment. Make sure you exercise portion control, too as 4 ounces is plenty for one serving.
- Salmon: This fish is well-known for its ability to improve heart health and lose excess pounds. It contains omega-3 fatty acids which improve your insulin sensitivity, meaning that you build muscle and lose belly fat. Wild salmon is the best choice since it tends to contain fewer pollutants.
- Sardines: They get a bad rep, but sardines can actually be quite tasty and great for weight loss. They have tons of omega-3 fatty acids and protein while also being low in mercury and high in calcium. Incorporate sardines into recipes that call for anchovies or chop them up for a tasty dip or topping.
- Lentils: Lentils are directly tied to a trimmer waist. These beans prevent spikes in insulin which create excess fat (particularly in the tummy area), so eating them will help you look and feel better. Plus, you can use these to cut back on your meat consumption a bit since they’re so high in protein. Lentils also have a mild flavor that makes them a great addition to salads and pasta dishes.
- Yogurt: One of the ways yogurt helps you lose weight is by keeping your blood sugar levels steady. It also contains a great mixture of carbs, fat and protein that’s great for your health. Greek yogurt is a great variety to eat since it contains more protein and may be more filling. Don’t forget that plain yogurt can also be used as a substitute for mayo or sour cream in certain recipes.
While these are some of the best foods for weight loss, you’ll need a wide range of healthy foods if you want to shed some pounds. And don’t forget about exercise – it’s an essential component of any plan to lose weight. If you need help reaching your weight loss goal, speak with your doctor or a nutritionist.